Italian Seared Beef – another Jamie Oliver recipe and another success. Upon first look at the recipe the flavours appear strong and possibly over-powering, however, they work really well together and overall the dish is amazing and ready in under 15 minutes.
However, if you are absolutely famished, then this isn’t going to suffice and you will need to ‘bulk’ it out a bit with either a side salad, fresh crunchy bread or some vegetables or carbs of your choice. If you are looking for something extremely quick, with only a handful of ingredients, but want something that is flavor packed, then this meal will tick all of those boxes.
- use a quality cut of meat and preferably one from the local butcher
- use a quality pesto or a home-made one if you prefer
- use fresh parmesan rather than a packet version, but work with what’s affordable and available.
- keep an eye on the pine nuts as these do turn from golden to black very quickly.
- if you don’t have a rolling pin, you can use a meat mallet, just use the smooth side.
Would I make it again? Yes, it is a fantastic meal, especially when you are short on time but still want something that is flavorsome and light.
Italian Seared Beef
- 1 tablesppon pine nuts
- 250 grams rump steak
- 2 heaped teaspoons green pesto
- 40 grams rocket
- 15 grams parmesan cheese
Using a large non-stick frypan, add the pine nuts and toast over a medium heat until golden. Transfer to another plate and set aside until ready.
Season the beef with salt and pepper and place between two sheets of grease-proof paper. Using a rolling pin, bash the meat until approximately 1cm thick all over.
Return the frypan to a high heat, add a splash of olive oil and the beef. Sear for 1 minute on each side. Transfer to another plate and allow to rest for 1-2 minutes. Once rested, cut the beef on an angle.
Smear the serving plate with the pesto and place the beef decoratively on top. Plonk the rocket on top and using a peeler add slices of parmesan cheese.
Sprinkle the pine nuts and drizzle a bit of olive oil to dress if you like.